Where in the World is Kyle?

Track Kyle on his Bye-Bye. The map will be updated continually as Kyle discovers more.

View Larger Map

Monday, October 8, 2007

Now when I said I understood 40-50%, I really meant 2-5%

The first day of classes is over and I am here, alive, talk to about it. The big bad wolf of the unknown is now no longer all that big and bad, nor a wolf for that manner. It is now much more of a rooster (Extra points for whoever gets that one). The day seemed to go well. Granted I didn't understand a single word that was said (see above title) but the overall feel to the room was that of a good day. So I'm gonna mark this one up as a successful day. Lot's of Anglophones in my group so I at least have a life line. The school complex itself is pretty fly, definitely a place to make art. I will try and still some photos if I can without desecrating anything.

In the meantime you will just have to settle for the pictures below which were taken a couple of days ago. The title of this series is "Welcome to Kyle's Hood."

First off, we have Kyle's block. This is Avenue Constant Coquelin. My door is the second to last on the left hand side. A nice quiet block.


Next up, the view north up Boulevard des Invalides from the corner of Av Constant Coquelin. You can follow along on the map up top if you'd like. As you can see from the pictures, Paris has just as much scaffolding as New York. Interestingly enough, just as in New York it is managed by Mob families from Jersey as well.


The next two pics are both taken from Place de Breteuil, which is a block from my place. Place de Breteuil is a traffic circle which, due to soon brilliant urban planning, offers incredible views up two "spokes" of tree lined boulevards of two of the more impressive feats of architecture in Paris. The first is of...well, you better know that one. The second is taken from a position about 20 ft from the other and is of L'Hotel Des Invalides. That's where that famous short dude who had a serious Napoleon complex is buried.

Tour Eiffel

L'Hotel Des Invalides

The final is just a little shot I snapped as I was walking up towards Le Grand Tinker Toy. In the foreground is is L'Ecole Militaire. Actually that's a lie. In the foreground are some trees. L'Ecole Militaire is the building behind those trees. Le Grand Tinker Toy is the thingy stinking up behind it.


Hope you enjoy the pics. More of the neighborhood and other things to come. Sorry that most the pictures are boring. I'm not much of an architecture photography. I prefer live things.

No comments: