Where in the World is Kyle?

Track Kyle on his Bye-Bye. The map will be updated continually as Kyle discovers more.

View Larger Map

Friday, October 19, 2007

Transit Strikes Suck

Yep, it doesn’t matter what city or what country you are in, transit strikes blow. This is now the third strike I’ve encountered, in the third city, in the third country. I’ve survived the MTA peace-ing out in the middle of the winter this last year, the London transit system going out on the night I was supposed to go see “Mnemonic” in ’01 (ironic looking at the course of my life – seeing that production on my own the next week was what inspired me to start directing and to come to Lecoq), and now the Parisian RATP/Metro system when I’m supposed to be in class on the other side of Paris at 9 am. I suppose I can’t really complain as besides forcing me to wake up WAY TOO EARLY it only wound up being an hour walk – one that was fortunately shared with another American Lecoq-er, Marie, who lives in my area. Also it did allow me to experience something quite magical. I got to watch the sunrise while crossing the Seine at Pont de la Concorde. With Notre-Dame in the foreground the sun made its lazy way cross the horizon. It, like me, had not had enough café quite yet. It was the stuff of dreams. Of course when I dreamt it this event took place after a fantastic night of champagne, cheese, and general debauchery, but I suppose a strike and early morning classes are the next best thing. If I’m really lucky, I’ll get a repeat tomorrow/today (writing this entry right now on my laptop back at my place, but I will not be able to upload until tomorrow when the future will be past).

In other news, school continues to go well. The worst part about it is that I just wish there was more. Our days feel astronomically short – 4 hours of class a day) and before you know it the week has passed. I could easily go for another four hours a day. Another difficulty is that each day we do something new. Some of the movement concepts are repeated and built upon, but in Improv it’s pretty much new theme every single day. In all my previous training we always get multiple thwacks at each activity. Not here. Do it. Watch it. Absorb it. Move on. Of course, the Improv progression is specifically tailored to build upon principles introduced on previous days, but very often you’re so focused on dealing with the new elements that out the window goes some of the previous stuff. Gotta be quick. Learn how to paddle or grow gills. Oh yeah, and do it in French.

The back is also still hanging in there. The training here, I think, is winding up to be fantastic therapy. No really explosive moments. I suppose that’s a lie. It’s relatively un-explosive…other than the leaps, running, and popping from position to position….so pretty much completely explosive. Ahhh….but nothing extremely weight bearing…yet. Lots of nice undulations and expansions and contractions though. Good strengthening stuff, right?

Ok I must be off in order to write cover letters for a couple jobs. I’ll keep you all updated. Per requests I am carrying my camera to class tomorrow to nab some photos of the space. Think good thoughts at about 5am EST/4am CST. Autocour fun tomorrow! Sensing a butchering. Yikes.

No comments: